Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

I have a 2003 525i with 273,950 miles. Never burned a drop

Customer Question

I have a 2003 525i with 273,950 miles. Never burned a drop of oil until starting 200K when the CCV was replaced in Apr 2013. Since burns 1 quart varying between 400 and 750 miles. AT 244,500 we replaced Cylinder head valve stem seals and valve cover, but no change in oil burning. Mostly what I notice is a thick puff of gray smoke from the tail pipe when I quickly accelerate from a stop sign or after a slow down and turn. I did read that there were bad CCV valves manufactured in 2012-2014. Could the CCV be the cause? Rings and pistons? Otherwise runs great and I get 29-31 MPG on the road.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

I would start with another CCV I have seem them fail prematurely. I would also replace the dipstick tube, the new ones are improved. The old style is dual wall style that clogs the new one is wide open and is less likely to clog. A clogged dipstick tube would cause excessive oil consumption because the oil has can not drain back into the oil pan.As for the piston rings it is possible but you would need to dry and a wet cylinder leakage test.