Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Why is my 2004 bmw 325 overheatinig

Customer Question

Why is my 2004 bmw 325 overheatinig
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Most likely you have a blown head gasket or other system breach based on what you have described
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I verify its a head gasket and not a cracked head or block? What I don't understand is why the following happens: I run the engine for about 20 seconds and the system develops pressure (stiff top radiator hose exhibiting pressure). The engine hasn't run long enough for heat expansion of the coolant to occur, so it confirms exhaust gas in the cooling system. If I now let the system cool overnight, the system is still pressurized and coolant is expelled when the cap is cracked open. If gas in the system caused the pressure build, why wouldn't the gas rise to the top of the cooling system and be the first thing to be expelled when the system is opened?
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
Please do not forest to click on a positive rating
You need to have a leak down test carried out to verify the exact cause
The gas is not escaping because an air lock is occurring and trapping the gases in the system
As he question has been answered please kindly click on a positive rating
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Steve, I'm having difficulty with this possibility. After the overnight cooling, when I open the radiator cap about 1/2 gallon of coolant comes out. I would expect any combustion gasses to rise to the top (radiator cap). Since this much coolant, not gas comes out, there must be a blockage trapping the gases. My concern is that fixing the head gasket or cylinder head / block leak will not resolve the problem and I'll be back to square one.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
the problem is the a blown head gasket or cracked block. it does not matter that the gas doesn't rise to the top - it is trapped most likely by a simple airlock. This is a common occurance with a cooling system breach, these are not odd symptoms.
the main problem is the head gasket/block. There is little chance that once that is repaired and the cooling system properly fushed and bled that any other issue or blockage will remain.
you asked "Why is my 2004 bmw 325 overheatinig " - the answer is because of a blown head gasket or cracked block. This needs to be addressed.
as the question has been answered please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating