Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

I have a 2009 X5 35d and its giving me these OBD engine

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2009 X5 35d and its giving me these OBD engine codes, 7E8 and 7EC. What do they mean? Thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I just told you
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Maybe, or I will bring it to a BMW dealer if needed.. I just want to know what the codes mean..
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: I just bought it from an auction
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the BMW Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what scanner was used for this?
these are not common codes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Yes we used a scanner, my father has a dealership and used his code reader. I know they have to do with the control module and they are OBD codes. The first one is 7E8(engine) and the sec on is 7EC which I think may be emissions related?? I could bring it to a BMW dealership if needed but I would rather avoid it if possible due to it being so damn expensive! Thank you for your help Steve. --Laurie
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.

Hi .

These are not code but menus ,Engine module( 7E8 )and a A/T module( 7E? )

7EC is a possible missprint,

You need to try another code reader ,try autozone they do free code reading diagnostics and check for PXXXX codes .

The code you have are Hexadecimal format ,which is telling you which system need checking .

if you don't get any codes with autozone then you will need the BMW .

Hex format is a hexadecimal number, used by computers to count in base 16, so there are 16 numbers before “10″, instead of our ten. The extra numbers are A,B,C,D,E and F. 0-10 in hex is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10, but Hex’s 10 is Decimal’s 15.

Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.