Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

Am getting this code 2738 and 273D, 2hat does they mean,

Customer Question

Am getting this code 2738 and 273D , 2hat does they mean
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Gerring increase emissions car dont pick up right , acceration slow up hill
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

What type of BMW do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004 530i let me tell what been dont to my car, 4 o2 senor been replece , secondary pump with valve been replace, mas flow been replace, disa valve been replace , the only aftermarket part is intake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It have 135000 miles
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

2738 Catalytic converter conversion, bank 1

273D Catalytic converter conversion, bank 2

Those faults are indicating that the catalytic converters require replacement. Seeing how they both have failed you had something else failed that ruined the cats. It could have been one of the components you already replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just replace that cat, everything that been replace to my car is oem or Genuine only intake filter is aftermarkt, what do you recommend me to do next?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

You will need to put the car back to oem, replace the cats and see if any new faults come up and if they do fix the issue immediately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The parts i brought that i replace are oem ...... the only thing is after market is intake..........but my part at fcpeuro and oembimmerpart? No aftermarket , juat intake
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

I would put the oem intake back on, Ok good about the oem parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will after market intake will damage my cat..?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

It could of

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That new and never hear intake will mess up the cats , but for sure i need to replace my cat........now gotta see how much oem will cost me for sure more then 1k
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Yes they will need to be replaced and they will be expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about use OEM Cats ?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend oem parts, I would be skeptical about used parts though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They parting 2004 bmw oem with 84k, cat come with warranty
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

If it comes with a warranty then I would go for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One year warranty , coming from 2004 bmw 530i they parting out and the car have 84k mile , it half of the price of the new one, sdo i need to replace my o2 senor they not even year old ? Dont think so....
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a good donor car, and no you would not need to replace the O2 sensors you can reuse them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But for sure these code mean i need to replace the cats , just need to ask again , .......problem is , car feel take long to pick up ,car throw me to 2 code i reset twice they are 273d and 2738...i want make sure before i buy them these code mean that
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

That is the best diagnosis I can give over a keyboard. To be 100 percent sure you will need to bring it to the dealer and let them get there hands on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have bmw mechanic do diagnostic .....he too one the upper o2 senor close to the engine and check the presure the psi was around 5 that when he told me your cat not good , is this is true doing that test
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

That is a back pressure test. Excessive back pressure indicates failed cats.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hit the acceration and check the presure and it when straight to 5 psi , hope i explained myself good or making sence lol
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Yes you have, that is what is causing the poor performance. It sounds like a cat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When he hit the acceration and when to 5 psi that was Good sign that my cat are going bad ?, what will be good cat with this test?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is a lot of backpressure Less than 2 psi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank for explaining yourself to me teaching me something new , wish there a advice # ***** in rouch, need pppl like yourself , ro share the exp ... also like to thank you for a having patient over keyboard and i know my grammer isnt great keeny, there email if in future have any other question
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help. Good luck and I am always on here feel free to request me again. Please don't forget to leave positive feedback that is how I am compensated.