Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

My name is ***** *****. Getting ready to replace ignition

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****. Getting ready to replace ignition switch on my 1993 bmw 525i not the tumbler but the electrical mechanism. Does this part need to come straight from the dealership and programed for my vehicle? Do you know of any videos that show how to do this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. What would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 9 months ago.

After the switch replacement your vehicle will not need to be programmed. There are no videos of your car but it is similar to a E30 being replaced.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am safe to order the part from a parts store? I called the dealership they assured me that I needed to purchase the part from them and it would need to be programmed but from the vids that I see I don't see how it would need to be programmed for my car. I can understand it for the tumbler but not the actual switch?
Expert:  Kenny replied 9 months ago.

You are safe to order it anywhere you want, I am disappointed in the dealer and it misleading you like that. No programing or coding necessary. Plug and play.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I finally got a chance to make the switch of the switches and still can't get my car started. Any other ideas you have would be appreciated?
Expert:  Kenny replied 9 months ago.

Let's start with the basics, Your battery is fully charged (even if the lights come on and radio works doesn't mean there is enough power to start the engine). Next i would check the starter to make sure it is getting the signal to start if it is, then it is a failed start (this is a very common failure point)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so had the battery checked, all good. Had the starter checked, starter is good. Was able to hear the beautiful buzz of the engine by turning the engine switch with a flat head screwdriver. Whew! But am still unable to drive vehicle because I can't get it started with the key? And no matter what gear it is in the steering wheel will not turn fully? Only turns a little to the right and a little to the left?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Different expert here. I might be able to help you, but only if you clarify the following points:

• Are you only looking for information on how to replace the ignition switch?
  • Are you looking for help in diagnosing why the car won't start? If yes,
    • what has been done to the vehicle so far?
    • what do you mean by "making the switch of the switches"?
    • what do you mean by "turning the engine switch with a flat head screwdriver"