eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

I was given an "so called expert" about my 2011

Customer Question

I was given an "so called expert" about my 2011 mini cooper and he did not answer my question or get back to me. I will try one more time. My 2011 mini cooper (Not an "S"), auto transmission with 22,000 miles. My wife drives only about 4 miles each way to work and back. She does not drive it that much. She told me it was engine had a miss in each time she accelerated. I took it out this morning and it does have a miss is the engine. After I got it up to about 50mph, it seemed to be running ok. However, when I came to a stop and accelerated again, it was really missing and the engine light came on. I brought it home and then contacted you. Can you help with an answer or not?
Category: BMW
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

was the light solid or flashing? can you access a code reader to pull codes? likely cause is a failed ignition coil...But we need to start by scanning with a scan tool to determine what codes are in the system

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes.