Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2004 BMW X5 (4.4 engine) with navigation.....constant

Customer Question

2004 BMW X5 (4.4 engine) with navigation.....constant battery drain. Brand new battery and after a day or two it will not start and requires a jump.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
Hello
What was your question about this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What could cause battery drain?
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
There is some component on your vehicle that is draining power overnight while the car is supposed to be off - it could be ANY electric component, however there are some common causes.
If you have any kind of aftermarket equipment installed (GPS, ipod dock, etc), this is the first suspect.
If there is no aftermarket equipment installed, the blower motor resistor is by far the most likely culprit. Also, the electric engine fan and nav computer are also somewhat common.
Beyond these items though, it could be ANY component on the car so a proper parasitic draw test is required to verify if not one of the common items
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.