Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Last night stopped to gas up my 1997 328i. Everything was

Customer Question

Last night stopped to gas up my 1997 328i. Everything was working fine when shut car off. After filling with gas, got in and turned key, no crank. Have all dash lights, battery seems strong, will operate power windows, headlights, etc. Also noticed my key fob now will not lock/unlock the car. Hear chirp , but will not lock/unlock. The interior door lock button would not work either. Replaced fuses that I could at gas station in the middle of the night, now the interior button works, but key fob still does not lock/unlock. Similar no crank incident occurred about two years ago, (except no locking issues). Turned out to be bad starter. Replaced it with best quality NEW starter I could buy. So it is doubtful I have starter issue now. Sounds like there may be an immobilizer system issue? Any suggestions?, ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Have not started diagnosis yet. Looking for most likely cause for this issue.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** *****?
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
You have asked for suggestions
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I would suggest trying a second key, locking/unlocking the car manually, unhooking the battery for an hour, checking all fuses and removing any after market alarm
If the issue persists you likely have an immobilizer issue or other failed module and the vehicle will need to be scanned with a BMW scan tool to further diagnose
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
I would also try a jump start if you have not
Please kindly click on a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.
If there are no additional questions, please kindly click on a positive rating