Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Pearl, I have a 2002 BMW 540i. My nav display won't work,

Customer Question

Pearl, I have a 2002 BMW 540i. My nav display won't work, even though the radios still do. The DVD in the trunk nav system pops out, and I'm getting spurious messages like "Check Brake Lights", and the heater isn't working properly. To get any level of heat (in cold weather) I have to keep it on full defrost for more than 20 mins. It doesn't regulate the temperature under any of the other settings, including air conditioning mode. What kind of reset can I do that will restore these functions, please?
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried a general reset - detaching the main battery terminals for a complete power down. I've inspected the fuses. Nothing seems to be dead or damaged.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: It's been a delightful car throughout most of the 12 years I've owned it. These electrical problems started about a year ago, and have gotten progressively worse. They're annoying rather than debilitating.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
you would like to know of a reset that will cure all of this? is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting spurious warnings and system failures that seem to be related. The most serious one is the heater, which doesn't work unless I put the system on full defrost for 20 mins or more, and then the heat surges rather than remaining constant. The second item is the nav display, which is currently dark. The radio and audio systems work fine. The automatic key entry system doesn't work either, despite the fact that I bought a brand new key with remote activation features as recently as 2 years ago. t'm also getting spurious "Check Brake Lights" messages. If possible, I'd like to know how to reset all of these elements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is extremely disappointing. Either this website isn't working or Steve has disappeared. Please refund my entire amount to my Discover card.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello I am sorry for the delay I was not notified of your reply unitl just now
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the answer is that you cannot reset this, there is one or more (likely more that one) mechanical or electrical problem on your car that require proper repair.
none of this is simply resettable, proper diagnostics and repairs are required without question
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.