Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

PO 171

Customer Question

PO 171
Category: BMW
Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

Hello, if you have a po171 that means you have a intake leak causing unmetered air and the engine cannot add enough fuel to compensate, most times the air comes from the rubber boots of the intake tract, there will be the air filter housing and then the mass air flow sensor and then 2 rubber boots that go to the throttle body. those boots generally rip and cause the codes. hope this helps. ill upload a picture of how they look. they are inexpensive from the dealer and usually in stock. Lou

Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

Please take a second to rate my service and feel free to follow up with me if needed. Lou