MartinsMotorSport
MartinsMotorSport, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Group Certified Technician, quilified top in class, 8 years exp, Motor Mechanic Trade Quilified
18710009

Why would my 2007 bmw x5 be overheating when I have already

Customer Question

Why would my 2007 bmw x5 be overheating when I have already replaced the coolant temp sensor the head temp sensor the thermostat the cooling fan the water pump and the radiator they have also check the head gasket and it is fine what else could I try
Category: BMW
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I noticed on your post that you have stated "they have checked out the head gasket... "; is your vehicle currently at a repair facility? If so, and they don't know what's causing your vehicle's engine to overheat, I would advice taking the vehicle to a qualified BMW shop. Optionally, I could certainly help you diagnose the root cause of the problem by providing you with the needed technical information; caveat being you would have to provide the necessary tools and equipment and the skills to use them.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is a technician I don't need to take it to a shop I paid a fee to get some advice as to what else I could try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so overwhelmed I've put money out for a new cooling fan,water pump,radiator,thermostat, sensors and the fan still only comes on when I run the ac what else could it be please help

I understand, and that's why I'm trying to help you solve your issue. The thing is, a diagnostic process needs to be followed so the true cause of the overheating is revealed. I know that diagnostic process, which is precisely what you're paying for and that I would gladly share with whom ever you choose.

Please allow me to explain further, of all the things that have been replaced only the radiator, cooling fan, water pump an thermostat could actually cause the engine to overheat. The other two sensors can only alert you of the overheating. All of which tell me that whomever has been working on this issue might not have the technical knowledge and expertise to do so and is basically replacing parts hoping that one of those will fix the vehicle - please understand I'm not trying to put anybody down; it's just that with sophisticated vehicle such as you BMW, good intentions alone might not be enough.

If I were there, I would start my diagnosis by re-checking that head gasket, as a combustion chamber leak is the most likey cause of the overheating - of course, to do so, the correct BMW coolant reservoir adaptor and coolant pressure pump would have to be used.

As you can tell by now I'm a nuts and bolts person. Please forgive me if I failed to explain my intentions.

Best regards.

Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the engine cooling fan is not kicking on when the engine starts to heat up with this issue here and you have already had all of these components above replaced and did not correct the fault here this issue can be caused by a fault with the engine computer itself.I have seen the engine computer fail internally before needing replaced.If this was already checked or was replaced and the issue still occurs let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  MartinsMotorSport replied 1 year ago.

When car is hot check if bottom radiator hose is also hot?

Come back to me!