Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

2006 BMW 330 Xi popping from front carrier, just replaced

Customer Question

2006 BMW 330 Xi popping from front carrier, just replaced the carrier with LKQ (junk yard) carrier. Only code in transmission is 51AD. I have a snapon scanner and quite a bit of skill. Trying to determine whether the problem is transfer case or the new carrier, I took the driveline out and the noise has stopped. I bought the car from and Auction with front carrier problem so I have not idea how the problem originated.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 10 months ago.

Transfer cases are a common failure point on those cars but for a popping noise it sounds like it is a axle shaft the right ones fall quite often due to the length.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No when I took the drive line out the noise stopped if it was the axle the noise would have continued. Come on now, be an expert.😄 I am only assuming but axle won't act that much different when they have power verses just rolling, they are still flexing and turning either way. My test ride was only 30ft long the poping noise came back and I did not want to blow a hole through the side of the new carrier like the old one has. It's not an axle I had both out when I replaced the carrier. How do I test/rule out the differential and or transfer case.