rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1998 BMW 740il with a traction control symbol on

Customer Question

I have a 1998 BMW 740il with a traction control symbol on the dash. Need assistance.
Category: BMW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The only way to acquire repair information at this point, is to scan the complete computer system and sub systems with a scan tool and also see if any codes or pending codes are stored as well.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried scanning with both my Snap On Modis and Autel DS708 but have no brake codes or traction control codes through the OBD 2 port.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

That would only point to a defective computer then if you can access the nodes but they don't give bad data or codes when a light is illuminated.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does not have a defective computer, I believe that those scanners cannot pick up the data through the OBD 2 port. The customer states it came on after someone did a brake job. It has another plug under the hood but I do not know how to access codes from it.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Ahh, I see. So we're back to square one again. I thought you were getting data. We need the tool that can get what we're after. I can access this information with Autoengunuity if you have access to that.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a code 27 in the ABS system which states servo motor electrically faulty.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Ok, you're onto or now. Check the wiring power and ground circuits.

Thanks, ***** ***** don't forget to rate me and keep this link for future reference and if you need more help.