Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Engine soon light had been on as well as ABS light on when

Customer Question

My name is***** engine soon light had been on as well as ABS light on when going up a steep hill at times it would smell like a burning scent and just 2 days ago the car was driving well and then it wouldn't start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the car was driving well in the morning and it was parked for about 2 hours and when I got back in the car to drive it wouldn't start. When the key is placed in the ignition the lights turn on but that is it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what question did you have about this?
did you want to know possible causes? something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
possible causes
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
thank you for your attention to the rating requirement
SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT:
The engine light is not specific to any one thing. It is only meant to inform the driver that there is a problem with engine management / emissions control.
This light comes on when the car's engine management system senses an emissions impacting fault. This has nothing to do with oil service, coolant level, or any regular maintenance items. This light is caused a failed component or operating range out of spec. There is a problem with the engine / engine management / emission control systems or one of the inputs that it uses to operate properly / efficiently.
There are dozens and dozens and dozens of reasons (actually close to 200 reasons) for this light to come on. The good news is that when this light is triggered, the car logs a descriptive fault in its computer which can then be read out to shed some additional light on the problem.
ABS LIGHT:
the ABS light indicates a fault within the ABS / traction control system on the car. These lights are not specific and are only intended to inform the driver that a fault is present. There are MANY possible causes for these generic warnings as they are not intended to be specific or aid in trouble shooting / diagnostics in any way.
With that said, there are two very common things that cause these lights to come on together, a faulty wheel speed sensor or a failure within the ABS / traction control module itself. It can also sometimes be caused by a failing alternator or a different sensor as well, but these are less common.
Again, the good news is that when these lights come on, the car’s computer logs a specific record of the problem. As such, you will need to have the fault memory read from the vehicle to determine exactly what your underlying issue is.
SUMMARY:
your emissions are being impacted by a fault, and the ABS system is also being impacted by a fault. Most likely there are two separate faults. The next/only step at this time is a fault log scan. if you need a non dealer option to save some $, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options
the smell could be from many things that may or may not be related to the lights. most commonly an oil leak will cause an odor like you have described. this will need to be validated through hands on inspection.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
as the question has been answered please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating