Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2006 BMW X5 4.4 Trans. Fail safe prog error code With no

Customer Question

2006 BMW X5 4.4
Trans. Fail safe prog error code
With no reverseWhat is the solution to solve my problems
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
what diagnostics have been carried out so far?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None. What can i do without taking it to the dealer. What are some common solutions
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the most common solution for this by far is a full rebuild or replacement of the transmission, which is not something that can be done at home.
if you are looking for something to try, you can try unhooking the vehicle battery for an hour to reset the computer, test alternator voltage and check the fluid level (which requires the vehicle be raised and level and a plug removed form the side of the transmission - if fluid dribbles out, the level is good, if not, it is low). you can also check for any obvious signs of the shift linkage binding up under the vehicle.
at a minimum the suggested approach would involve a computer fault scan and proper test plan as carried out by a BMW tested
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating