Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2009 Mini S with the yellow service engine light coming on.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, 2009 Mini Cooper S with the yellow service engine light coming on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure, my wife was taking our daughter to the bus stop the other day, first cold rainy morning this year. The light came on and has not went out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the car has a 'variable' service interval where the ECU measures the amount of hard use the engine has had and then determines when the oil change is due

so it sounds like its time to get the oil changed and the car will then need plugging into a BMW diagnostic tool to turn off the light

you should be fine to carry on using the car in the meantime

its just something that needs looking at sooner rather than later

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you