Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My 2008 550i BMW rear wheels are locked. A rear tire popped

Customer Question

My 2008 550i BMW rear wheels are locked. A rear tire popped so I changed it to my summer set. I tried to drive and it seems like the parking break is on and it will barely move at all.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Are any warning lights on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No warning lights are on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have you experienced this problem at all?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

another expert here

1st thing to check is the rear tyre sizes from side to side as its an electronic locking diff so any speed differential between the 2 sides will try an lock the diff up

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As in different tire sizes? They're the same BMW recommends.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

yes

but are they the same on each side of the axle?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
both sets have the same tire sizes . Would it be a problem if it didn't? I think the rim width is a half inch larger.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

OK

if the rolling diameter is different side to side it will tie the diff control in knots

but if thats OK then I'd next check that the rear brakes aren't binding and also check the level of the oil in the diff is up to the mark

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you