Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an 01 x5 4.4. I seem to have what I see is the common

Customer Question

Hi! I have an 01 x5 4.4. I seem to have what I see is the common problem of trans prog message error or fail safe mode. Problem exits only if I try to leave first gear normally. If I don't push n let it get to 2nd gear and on it is fine no error message. No slipping. Lots of power although getting out of first seems rough. I have checked other forums and this seems to be very common for this year/ model/engine size. I do not believe the transmission is fried. I feel its an electrical problem or sensor. Through other threads I have heard about replacing the alternator and or out put switch. Any thoughts?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Replacing the alternator or any transmission component is hugely expensive
No action should be taken until the fault logs are scanned from the vehicle and proper test plans carried out
There are literally dozens of things which can cause this and the first step is a fault scan before any action can be taken - this is how the vehicle is designed, to record the fault for read out with a BMW scan tool to inform the necessary repair and eliminate guess work / wasted money on un needed repairs
So, you've asked for thoughts and the most important one is not to take any action before a fault scan is completed
If you need a non dealer to save $ on this check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was scanned and a code of p0732 was found
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
This is a generic emissions code which can be misleading when the transmission is involved.
Taken at face value this code indicates a mechanical/slipping problem with gear two and would typically necessitate a rebuild on a vehicle of this age
Given the problems of using genetic emissions codes for transmission diagnostics I would still strongly advise a proper fault scan and diagnostic with a BMW scan tool
As the question has been answered please kindly click on a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
if there are no additional questions, as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating