peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have a 2003 mini and the tire light is on and traction

I have a 2003 mini cooper and the tire light is on and traction light on the only code is in the abs module 5e30 for the lateral accerlation sensor. Wondering if that would cause those lights to be on and if the sensor would have to be replaced.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The lateral acceleration sensor can be a common sensor to fail and requires replacement when it does fail.In almost all cases when this code sets for this sensor the sensor does need replaced.This will turn on the traction light like this here and in some cases may turn on the tire light.Usually though the tire light will only come on if there is a low tire or to high of air pressure in a tire compared to the rest or if there is a tire pressure sensor fault.

I would have the tire pressure sensors checked/tested to see if any of them need replaced.Usually a local tire shop can check these with their tool and most will check them free of charge to see if one needs replaced.

I suspect worse case scenario here the lateral acceleration sensor needs replaced and a tire pressure sensor then the fault codes cleared and tire pressures relearned to turn off all the lights/messages on the dash.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok were is the lateral acceleration sensor located

My info tells me this sensor is part of the DSC sensor cluster https://www.dropbox.com/s/804whhjb3l8uspp/dsc-01-20.gif?dl=0

This looks to be between the two front seats under the console area.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks I got a new dsc sensor and I put it in and I still got the same code that wont erase.

Did you see any wiring issues leading to or at the sensor including the electrical connection to it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The wires looked good at the connector is there a way to test the wires to the sensor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I used my scan tool to look at the sensor data and the old senor was reading 2g the whole time, and when installed the new/ used senor it now reads -0.1g and if I move the sensor the reading change with the new one but not the old one.

Have you had the code cleared with a compatible scan tool and was the vehicle driven around 20 miles or so to see if the code clears out then at all?It sounds like the sensor is not working again so the code should clear but some models require some driving to clear it out.I am unable to locate any test procedure for this sensor here or if it needs calibrated on this model but I know some of these sensors after replacement needed calibrated with a dealers computer plugged into your vehicle.I would see if driving it clears out the fault here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got a snap on solus, and ok il drive it for a lil bit, if you can find out if it does need to be cailabrated by bmw.

I do see that some do need calibrated.It is a function using a factory scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle to calibrate it.Some of the after market scan tools like the Solus o Solus Pro may not have this option to do this calibration.You may have to have this checked and calibrated using a scan tool or computer that can do this by a BMW repair facility or European repair facility.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete