Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner, diagnostics, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 1991 BMW 850i with a stuck upper control arm ball

Customer Question

I have a 1991 BMW 850i with a stuck upper control arm ball joint. I can't get it to release from the tie rod lever where the upper and lower control arms connect to the tie rod lever. I've tried a pickle fork and a ball joint separator with heat, it won't break loose.What else can I try?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are in there pretty tight sometimes and you will want to use the tool, (31 2 140) as shown in the attached diagram. Normally available at tool stores such as Harbor Freight, Northern tool, etc.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is the tool I used and I destroyed it. This is really stuck.
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

I see, thanks. I can't say that I have ever seen one that stuck before. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.