Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2001 bmw x5 4.4i. my cars tail brake lights stays

Customer Question

Steve , I have a 2001 bmw x5 4.4i. my cars tail brake lights stays on (active) when the car is on. On the dash board the BRAKE (in red), is on when this started.
Prior to this I had ABS light on (in yellow) but no issues with brake lights.
my local tire plus dealer wanted to try changing the brake switch under the brake peddle, since he was only guessing I told him Ill think about it. what do you suggest...
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I would suggest having the fault logs read from the vehicle using a factory BMW scan tool - since there are warning lights on, the computer will have logged the issue.
the brake light switch is inexpensive and could be the issue, so this is also something you could start with, although there are other possible causes and you could end up spending money on a brake switch that does not fix the problem - thus why a fault scan if the first recommendation
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
are you having a technical problem selecting a positive rating?