peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

1999 328i convertible top stuck part way closed. I was

Customer Question

Customer: 1999 328i convertible top stuck part way closed. I was trying to reset the top motors. it is not closing even, seems to be stuck. Can't move it with the manual ***** ***** wrench
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the convertalbe top had to be closed manually, so the switch light was blinking. I disengaged the motors, re engaged and tried to close the top. Got stuck and won't move. So I disengaged the motors for a manual close. Won't move manually with the ***** ***** wrench.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, how long do you estimate the wait will be?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect for any debris in the track and if any debris is found it will need cleaned out to correct this here.If this is found to be o.k. inspect the track for any broken or damaged components needing repaired or replaced to correct this fault.If any damaged or broken components are found they will need repaired and in some cases depending on the damage the track may need replaced.In some cases this will require removal of the head liner to inspect fully.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still a problem. The driver side "male" insert is not in position to close and latch. Seems to be binding. Drives side lower than pass side .

Do you see any broken components like track guides or anything else including debris that may be causing this here at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Is the storage lid contacting the rear bow of the soft top and jamming when trying to open or close?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Storage lid closed motors disengaged.

Is there any way you can get the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set?This will have to be done using a scan tool or computer that will plug into your model and read all computers to see what codes are set.Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have that capability.

O.k.,what will have to be done here is to have the fault codes checked using a scan tool or computer that is fully compatible with this model here to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set can be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.There will most likely be at least one code set that will help locate the fault here.In some cases all that needs done is to have the codes cleared out/erased with a scan tool and the top may start to operate again as some codes can cause the roof to be disabled until the codes are cleared out.

You may also have a fault with a faulty micro switch.The roof uses micro switch sensors that send signals to the computer to let it know what position the roof is in.If one is sending an incorrect signal this can cause the fault you see here and the switch usually needs replaced.

The only other issue I see here is a fault with the roof bow/track system with a component that may be bent or damaged needing replaced or repaired.

This will have to be looked into further first having codes checked as this will help quite a bit then the roof checked over further for any mechanical faults needing repaired.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I secure the top so I can get to a shop?

Try this procedure below to see if you can manually close it.

Emergency actuation of convertible top:

- Open side windows and left door.

- Push left front seat forwards and fold down.

NOTE: No-one must be sitting on the rear seat at this time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j78vq77gmd9olmx/conv-01-17.gif?dl=0

- The release lever is located at the left under the rear bench seat in position (1) (rest position). If necessary, lift up rear bench seat.

- Pull release lever forwards with grip into position (2) until both drive units disengage audibly.

- After being released, the release lever returns to position (3).

Caution! When drive units are disconnected, only drive with convertible top closed (it is then not possible to lock the convertible top lid).

The convertible top lid and convertible top can now move freely.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see u r reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motors have been disengaged see early coments. R u saying if I engage the Allen wrench will work? I tried that last night. No movement with wrench.

Do you see my reply above at all with the procedure on how to disengage the top manually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have saw the procedure on utube. Does "free up " my top. Still driver's side "male" insert in a locked position. Pass.side ready to lower and lock in place closed.

Unfortunately since this procedure does not work here the roof is jammed in a position to where it cannot be electronically or mechanically closed causing this fault here.In this case the vehicle usually needs towed and a tarp secured over the roof to keep the wind from damaging the interior and top components further when it is towed in to a dealer or repair center.

I suspect there is a component that is broken,bent or damaged needing replaced but its difficult to pinpoint that for sure from here.This will have to be looked into further unfortunately to locate and repair the fault.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK yep. Thx

Your welcome.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete