Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

The boot on my 2011 Mini Countryman SAll4 will not open.

Customer Question

The boot on my 2011 Mini Countryman SAll4 will not open. When I depress the boot open button on the key fob, the boot makes this loud buzzing noise. I get the same buzzing noise when I try to open the boot manually, using the handle. I know older minis have a cord under the back seats that can be used to release the boot, but I was not able to find one in the 2011 countryman. I also scoured the owners manual and could not find anything about another way to get the boot open. I really just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious before I take it to my mechanic. Thank you!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Does it feel normal when you pull the handle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the handle feels normal. I probably should mention this as well: before I had any trouble opening the boot, I had something weird happen. I was driving and the warning light for an open boot came on. I pulled over (engine still running) and opened the boot and re closed it. I got home a half hour later and that was when the boot would not open and started making this buzzing noise every time I try to open, either via the handle or via the key fob.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
this is a tough situation.
there are only a few things to try
1) pull up on the corner of the lid while pulling up on the handle
2) pound with a fist in the area of the handle while pulling up repeatedly
3) have somebody inside the trunk push the door out while you actuate the handle
if these don't work then unfortunately you have a serious latch failure or jamming, and you will need to have it addressed professionally to avoid damage to the vehicle
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.