peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have a 2004 BMW M3, when i do a NY State inspection it

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2004 BMW M3, when i do a NY State inspection it fails due to no tach signal. When I connect the Snap On scanner it reads RPM.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am not sure what you are looking for, when we connect the inspection station to the OBD connector it does not read RPM. The Snap On scanner attached to the OBD connector reads RPM.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If your scan tool reads the rpm but the inspection stations does not this may be an issue with the inspection stations scan tool not being fully compatible with your model here.I have seen this before in several cases.You might show them that it reads with your scan tool so they do see that is operates properly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete