Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW X3 2004, front left tire brake guard... BMW X3 2004,

Customer Question

BMW X3 2004, front left tire brake guard...
BMW X3 2004, front left tire brake guard clunking noise. I have a clunking noise that goes away when I separate the break guard away fron the rotor, but it comes back, it also helps when i was the underside of the car but it comes back...anyone heard of this being a common problem? is there a way tofix this permanently? maybe remove the brake dust guards??
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
this is not a common problem but the fix is to replace or remove the guard. I would recommend replacement.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a common problem, and replacement is the right answer but I could have answered that myself, I just washed the underside of my car today, pulled away the brake shield a bit from the rotor and sprayed some silicone spray in between them and the surrounding areas and problem fixed! no more tin noise!, I just gave myself a thorough answer.....
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
replacement is the correct fix, not lubricating to allow for silent rubbing - that is in fact a bad approach asking for the issue to return or worsen.
as the correct answer was provided, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.