Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Bought an e60 m5 that was in an accident. numerous K-can

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. bought an e60 m5 that was in an accident. numerous K-can line faults, just about every module. I just received an obdII connected with the inap and ediabas software but haven't loaded it onto my antique xp computer yet. I have read numerous posts about the fault being generated from low batt voltage and also passenger seat sensor. in fact ebay has passenger seat bypass for sale... but i'd rather intelligently seek and clear.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: GT sorry - GT1 scanner delivers the following K-CAN line codes...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes but i'm going to be a tough customer due to the fact that I have studied this so much. I'm aware of water issues in trunk, and need someone who can probably advise me how to hex code in INPA
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

I think I can help you. However INPA and ediabas software isnt going to help you with a k-can issue. First thing you will need to do is get to a connector with the bus connection and check for a cross short from high to low (with the battery disconnected) and then check for a short to ground and to power once you have isolated that you will need to start unplugging modules to see which one is causing the short if it isnt a mosule you will need to start shaking the wiring to find the chafed wiring I would start with where the accident repair was.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was hit up front, drivers. took out the bumper cover with pdc, which I now have plugged in. took out wash tank, replaced. took out what I believe is an aftermarket laser jammer... looks to be aftermarket wiring in a plastic loom - modules with numerous led's. Not sure if there is a cruise/distance controller on this model vin WBSNB93568CX08493. But if so, I cannot find an open wire for it. Airbox temp sensor looks to be good but is hanging as I do not have brake cowels installed yet.
if you have knowledge of a k-can run to the front bumper area, let me know. I'm looking at the attached folder and it does not specify exactly where the modules are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would I connect into the K-CAN bus via a connector? I bought an AGM battery last night but have not put it in the car yet - it could push 700 CCA on a battery machine under load... but the electrolyte levels were a bit low. I want to initialize the new battery for the car - any advice there as well?
Expert:  Kenny replied 1 year ago.

I cannot think of any K-Can wires near the front bumper, There are several K-Cans and modules attached to them you will need a wiring diagram for your vehicle and component location for it. The easiest module you can get to is the one I would start the testing on.

As for the battery replacement you will need to register the new battery in the vehicle not initialize it. It will work without registering it this just changes the way it charges the new battery.