Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an 08 BMW 528i Fuel Pressure is bleeding off over

Customer Question

I have an 08 BMW 528i Fuel Pressure is bleeding off over night with hard starts at times. What should I replace? Please need advice from someone who is familiar with BMW with this model year if not newer BMW. Thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement

fuel pressure will bleed off due to one or more fuel injectors, or a bad fuel pump check valve.

you should check the tops of the pistons by removing the spark plugs and looking down into the cylinder with a flash light

if any piston tops are cleaner than others, then this indicates a leaking injector on that cylinder and the injector needs to be replaced

if no piston tops are clean then replace the fuel pump

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I confirmed No leaky injectors by removing fuel rail

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is there 2 pumps? 2 sending units? Does the main fuel pump itself have the check valve built in? Where's the fuel pressure regulator?

Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

there is one pump in the tank, the check valve is in the pump

there is no stand alone pressure regulator it is built into the fuel filter

my answer was clear that if there are no leaky injectors, the pump needs to be replaced.

As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating

Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

there is one pump and two level sensors in the tank, the check valve is in the pump

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Have you personally worked on this style of system before on this model year BMW? Where is the pump located? does it have a hose coming out the top of the pump?

Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

yes I have worked on this style of system. Yes there is a hose coming out of the pump. As I stated, the pump is in the tank. It is on the right side. As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't see a hose coming out of the right one?

Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

the pipe comes out of the pump and runs to the filter which is also in the tank, then the fuel line runs to the engine. the pump is on the right side. As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Oh ok so the filter is on the left in which also has a fuel level sensor and Fuel pressure regulator built in but no check valve on the left?

Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
please kindly now CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure i receive proper credit for my time and answer. tip/bonus appreciated for significant detail and follow up provided.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
as the question has been answered please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating