JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

I have a 2008 Bmw 750i. I'm trying to get the valve cover

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Bmw 750i . I'm trying to get the valve cover off and have removed all screws but it's pretty stiff still. Any tips to loosen the cover without breaking it or eccentric shaft sensor ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, can you tell me how many screws total you loosened on the cover? These can be tricky to get off.

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
13 total
5 from the top
2 from the middle
6 at the bottom

Yes, there are 13 screws total. If they are all loose/ removed its simply being held by the spark plug tubes. They have o rings on the top and bottom of the tubes that tend to be stuck. With a flat head screwdriver or small prybar you should be able to "pop" the cover from the cylinder head at this point. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still incredibly hard to pull off and I'm pulling hard! Using a pry bar and screwdriver. I can only attack the front of the cover not the rear so much because of limited space.

I assumed you removed the valvetronic motor and bracket in the center of the intake side of the valve cover???

-JP

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Finallyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! It's unseated but still have to get it out over eccentric shaft sensor!

The best way is to gently lift the front of the cover, then rotate it towards the center of the engine, then you should be able to lift it over the eccentric shaft sensor to clear it without damage.

-JP

How did you make out?

Hi, do you still need assistance?