Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I am getting a 5EF3 (Dynamic Stability Control) steering

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I am getting a 5EF3 (Dynamic Stability Control) steering angle sensor, number of turns error on my bmw 745i 2004, and also a DIE4 CAN message (steering wheel angle) From SZL on the ARS Dynamic Drive. Any ideas.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The DSC light is coming on when I start driving. In addition, I am getting a transmission error that says something about automatically going into park when the engine is shut off. Tranny code is 5147, no message from steering cluster
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with this.

It is not uncommon for the SZL steering angle sensor to fail on this model BMW. This signal is sent to other control units so they also know the steering angle. You will need to have the steering angle sensor replaced to correct this failure. It will need to be programmed and coded to the vehicle upon replacement so this may be a dealer only install unless you know a good independent shop that specializes in BMW's.

The signals for the shift lever also go through the SZL so it would make sense that the transmission park signal could be effected.

Please let me know if I can help further. Please provide positive feedback or let me know how I can help further. Thank you.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could this also be the reason the seatbelt restraint and airbag lights are illuminated on the dash?
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

It would depend on what fault codes you are getting. The steering wheel airbag unit wiring is connected to the SZL so often you can have an airbag light and fault for the driver airbag when the SZL is faulty. The message you see is just generic for seatbelt restraint. The warning you see can be directly related.

I hope I have been helpful. Please remember to provide positive feedback. This is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you!

-Roger

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked for errors and it says No Communication on the Safety And Gateway Module. The airbag fault is from the passenger airbag. Unrelated to the Gateway, there is also a Steering Cluster error A3A9 Steering Column Stable Signal, Communication Fault. Does this all relate to your original prognosis?
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update. It looks like you have two separate issues here. The SGM module is located below the glove box. I hate to say that this module is even more common to fail than the SZL but they are not related to each other. The SGM will also need to be programmed upon replacement.