Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Yesterday i ran out of gas while I was driving and had to

Customer Question

Yesterday i ran out of gas while I was driving and had to put gas in it via a container, a hour or two later I turned the car off and then cranked it again and it cranked but then it would shake and cut off, I tried 10 times and it kept happening every single time typically the same way when I was trying to crank it when I was out of gas.
I left it alone for 30min and then the car started fine and worked the rest of the day with no issues. This morning when I cranked the car I noticed the engine shaking bad but the car did not cut off, I drove for 15min while it continued to shake and decided to stop and cut the car off to see if when I turn it off and on again would the shaking go away but now it's doing the same thing it did yesterday.... Cranking on shaking very bad and cutting off after 3-5 seconds...
I purchased a little bottle of Lucas injector cleaner and put more gas in the car and after two tries the car started!! But it is still driving funny and shaking bad
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question did you have about this? Did you want to know possible causes? Something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is what is causing this problem and how to fix it, I'm assuming it the fuel pump it fuel injectors... I drove it and it didn't start again and I put another Lucas injector cleaner in it and didn't start for an hour again and then when it finally started it was driving extremely bad and shaking... What is the solution ?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The problem is a finalizing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter ( or possible clog elsewhere)
The fix will likely be a new pump and/or filter
A fuel pressure test and new filter would be an advisable first step
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click on a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the shaking is stemming from me running out of gas in my car and now my fuel pump is messed up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also does the Lucas treatment help or anything else I can do in the mean time? Because like I said the car turned on after I put Lucas but is driving bad
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
He problem is the car is not getting enough fuel, due to the pump being damaged or the filter being clogged as a result of it being run out of fuel. The treatment does not help. There is nothing you can do other than replace the pump and/or filter. You should not continue to use the car like this. As the question has been answered please kindly click on a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so why does the car start after I put Lucas in it if nothing helps? And what about a "fuel pump relay"
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
He lilac isn't doing anything, it's coincidental or temporary at best. Nothing will resolve this other than pump or filter replacement. You have ruined the pump or filter and no additive will correct this or help in a way that will allow the car to run normally/safely. The relay cannot cause this and this car does not even have one . As the question has been answered please kindly click on a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will rate you... I'm just trying to make sure it is the fuel pump and filter I need to buy and don't waste money if it's other parts... Upon doing research on this I noticed people saying fuel injectors also, and spark plugs... What role does both of them play and couple that be a problem in what I'm dealing with also ?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
the spark plugs provide spark and have nothing to do with fuel and are not the problem.
the injectors would be unlikely to prevent the car from starting and are not the usual failure when a car is run out of gas. And, a pressure test as I advised would rule them out conclusively.
As the question has been answered please kindly click on a positive rating.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click on a positive rating ..
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Are you having a technical problem selecting a positive rating?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click on a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and multiple answers, out of the payment you have already made. Thank you in advance
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click on a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and multiple answers, out of the payment you have already made. Thank you in advance for ensuring my proper credit.