peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

2005 E66 745Li N62B44 186k miles I'm looking guidance on the

Customer Question

2005 E66 745Li N62B44 186k milesHi there, I’m looking for some guidance on the following code/issue :
** P0370 (2BD5) Timing Reference High Resolution Signal "A"
Here's some background on what's happened thus far. After my wife got stuck with the car earlier this year(Feb) I just got to replacing all the timing chain guides (2 were broken) and tensioners this month, which is what the BMW tech where she had the car towed suggested may be wrong and where tyo start looking. It was makign a terrible clacking nosie in the front end on the drivers side.In retrospoect and in the process of pulling the upper and lower timing covers off when I pulled the Vanos solenoids out there was “fuzz” on the screens where the oil comes into them, it struck me as odd at the time. (hint#1)Next observation,.. As I was draining the oil to drop the lower pan to clean that, I noticed that the side of the filter was pushed in as if someone had stuck a finger into it. Again struck me as odd, but didn't realize there as a support post missing in there. (hint#2) Oil has gotten changed for the past 5 years at the same place, so must be one of the quick change guys broke it off as there wasn't a clue that it had ever been there. I replaced the support post (11 42 7 506 678) and still had a problem with Vanos codes on Bank 2. (2A84/P0022)After putting everything back together, I was still getting a couple codes (2CF9, 2CFA
) about the VANOS, thinking it was out of time still, even though I’d timed it with the right tools. And some misfire codes on 3 of the 4 cylinders on the same side (drivers). I replaced the coils and plugs and the misfire codes cleared out, but the Vanos code remained.Thinking about backtracking the oil system,. I pulled the oil check valves on the drivers side and saw some filter element material balled up in the check valve. No material seen in any of the other check valves. I blew up through the filter center and it pushed a couple of pieces the size of a pencil eraser out of the check valve hole. I’d removed the Vanos Solenoids before hand as well and blew through those ports with no noticeable issues.The car started and idled smoothly as soon as I restarted it, but then when I step on the gas it hesitates now and and sputters sometimes and if i hold the pedal steady it sounds like it clears up. I had my father inlaw look at it,. He’s no BMW expert,but he has his own car garage and builds race car motors, he seems to think it a misfire issue and suggested I check all the plugs which I did and all looked fine there. Im not gettign any other codes other than the P0370 now.I also get a transmission “failsafe” error just as it sets the code (I am reading the codes with INPA), if I clear the codes. It will run fine then, it will start sputtering an hesitating again. I've let the car idle for 5-10 minutes and all is fine, its just seems that when I give it fuel, it begins to act up.My research last week intimated that it might be a crank sensor issue, so I changed that earlier today with no difference in the issue. Also replaced the battery as well to make sure that wasn’t the issue either from a pwoer point of view since it had sat for so long.I’ve attached some screen shots from INPA that I captured this monring as well, showing some difference in the camshaft adaptation on bank 2 intake(so maybe the timing is still off??) and the engine roughness readings which im not entirely sure how to intrepret other than it looked out of whack.Looking for guidance on where and what to look at next to try and get this resolved.Thanks,.Percy
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Files here,..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here since there was a timing issue is to have a cylinder compression test done on all cylinders to see if one or more cylinders are off on compression.All cylinders should read about the same compression within 10 to 15 psi of each other.If you can get a compression test done and post the results here let me know as this will help

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll see if I can get the compression test done,. Will need to borrow a tester.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with on compression on this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you thinking bent valve?,. I thought teh BMW tech (where we had the car towed) told me the N62 wasnt an interferance motor?

I dont see the info myself if this is or is not an interference motor but most are so there is a chance there is an issue with compression due to a bent valve causing other codes to set and running issues.If you can get a compression test done this will help determine if there is an issue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was alone today, so i didnt have help to do the compression test, but I was able to do a leakdown test tonight,. the values are attached,. seems pretty tight to me as the values range from 96% to 98%.. What next?

This is a difficult question to answer myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete