Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1994 540i. After 5 minutes of running it starts to idle

Customer Question

1994 540i. After 5 minutes of running it starts to idle strangely. Also upon exceleration it sputters at times. I just replaced the fuel filter which the old one was really clogged. The check engine is not on but plan to see if there are any engine codes once me reader shows up in the mail. As a good mechanic it sounds like a sensor or bad gas. Any thoughts? Motor only has 50K on it
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I would test fuel pressure to be sure the pump isn't going bad
Also consider running without the airflow sensor hooked up to see if anything changes and also consider a crankcase vent valve check as well and a check for air leaks
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click on a positive rating