Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 2009 bmw 328 derive with only 40k miles on it. I

Customer Question

I have a 2009 bmw 328 derive with only 40k miles on it. I received a battery icon light come on and my power steering seemed to go. Went immediately home and parked my car, drove approx 10 mi. Does one have to do with the other? Should I muscle the steering wheel and take to my mechanic or do the reset, I saw a YouTube video you made? Need options/help
Thank u
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with this.

I suspect your serpentine drive belt may have come off. This belt runs the power steering pump and the alternator. Usually this occurs due to another failure such as the belt tensioner failing or the more common reason is actually from an oil leak that has made the belt fail. The oil leak is usually from the oil filter housing gasket. You will not be able to drive far as the alternator will not be able to charge the vehicle and it will run out of electrical power quickly. Also the belt that has most likely come off can damage other components. I would take a look at the belt to verify this is the failure and then have the vehicle towed to a shop for repairs. The belt can actually get caught in the crank pulley and damage the front main seal and can even get into the engine this way. This can be very costly.

I hope this information is helpful. Please remember to select positive feedback for my help today. This is the only way I receive credit for helping. Thank you. I wish you the best with the vehicle.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very thorough. This makes sense since I had the oil filter housing recently replaced.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Glad I could help. I have seen this happen if the belt is not replaced when the oil filter housing gasket is replaced. The belt material breaks down from the oil and can come off or shred apart while driving. Hopefully there will be no damage besides just replacing the belt. Please make sure that the mechanic removes the crank pulley (vibration damper) to remove the material that gets caught behind it. And have them inspect the crankshaft seal carefully.

Please remember to select positive feedback. Best wishes to you!

-Roger