Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I put my top down on my 325ci 2001, drove around came home

Customer Question

I put my top down on my 325ci 2001, drove around came home and hit the auto up button as I always have and nothing happens. Top will not come back up. I checked the trunk nothing blocking anything. This happens occassionally and I don't know what causes it or how to fix it. I always take it to someone and they fix it but cant really tell me what is the root problem.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well there isn't a lot I can try except to keep pushing the up button. I just paid $24 for an answer. I pretty much told ya everything I know on my initial question.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure why I got a text that there is an answer for me!!,??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
this system relies on multiple sensors, a control computer and drive units to operate
any one of these malfunctioning can prevent the roof from operating.
the only way to verify the root cause is to connect to the car with a bmw scan tool to monitor all inputs and outputs from the system when the issue is present. When this is done with proper equipment, the cause can be easily identified. there is no way to resolve this issue conclusively without this type of testing
if you need a shop for this check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle