gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 99 528i e39, changed the camshaft position sensor

Customer Question

I have a 99 528i e39, changed the camshaft position sensor on intake side and was the wrong part tried to start nothing. changed the part to the right one and now won't start.. checked codes and the only one I'm getting is map cooling sensor. changed battery n have new intake exhaust camshaft position sensor. cleared codes and still won't start.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need proper fuel pressure, injector pulse , good spark to the spark plugs and good compression. If you can check each one of these thing and see which one you are lacking we can work from there to try and determine the cause . Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car never had a problem until I put the wrong intake camshaft position sensor. I clean the idle control valve, all it does now is buzz when the car is in on position. the radiator fluid starts to automatically flowing as well
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Have you gone back and rechecked all connections as well as grounds. Are you setting any fault codes now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only code is p1622
activation map cooling
checked all connection n grounds
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well at this point I am not sure how to advise you. I will open the post back up and see if someone else has something else to offer. If someone can help they will post back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the sensor sent the wrong signal to the ecu can the hardness wire be bad?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

If the P1622 fault keeps coming up, even though the car is not running, I would suspect the engine coolant temp sensor in the thermostat housing. This could also be causing your issue with starting (it is cranking over without starting correct, not failing to even crank over?) as the default failure for most ECTs will set your coolant temp very cold, effectively causing your ECM to flood the intake with fuel. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor to open the throttle, and crank for a while to see if it stumbles and starts.