peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have a BMW X5 e70 2007, the handbrake switch broke. I

Customer Question

I have a BMW X5 e70 2007, the handbrake switch broke. I obtained a new switch,and fitted it. The handbrake will not work, and error message on dash. I had a BMW dealer carry out a diagnostic check, which they said was to the wiring having been cut at tow bar loom. I have checked the wiring, and it has been cut at the scotch locks, but can see no reason for it to cause the problem.it was not a problem before. Help ?.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the wiring was damaged it can cause high resistance in the wiring causing this issue or may have corroded inside the wiring itself causing this issue here.I have seen this cause this fault.If you can re check the wiring that was cut for any faults with it needing repaired or replaced or try and make a better connection issue other then the scotch locks like solder connections instead to see if this then resolves the issue.If this is done or was done or re checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete