peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

BMW ENGINE IN RANGE ROVER - BIG TIP SOLUTION--- Just need to

Customer Question

BMW ENGINE IN RANGE ROVER - BIG TIP FOR FINAL SOLUTION--- Just need to find cause of NO START. 2005 Range Rover HSE NON supercharged. Here is the chain of events:
1. Car was driven 12 hours before failure
2. Overnight the temp dropped to 9 degrees F
3. When start was attempted the starter DID engage and turned the engine, but it did not fire up. Made about 5 attempts at 10 seconds each with no start, just cranked.
4. Gave it 10 minute rest and upon attempting to start it there was NO solenoid clack and naturally the starter did not turn.
5. Assuming a dead battery jumped it with brand new fully charged battery and still no solenoid clack. Then was when I really got concerned.
6. I DO have a paid subscription to ALLDATADIY.COM but cannot locate a flowchart or similar that gives logical steps to find the source of the problem. If the Expert that answers this can locate such a flowchart I am happy to follow the steps. Here is what I have done so far:
1. Verified that battery is 100% good. Cleaned terminals and put them on very snugly so they do not twist.
2. Followed the thick gauge red wire to the starter and verified that there was continuity and full 12.6 volts at the starter terminal. ( The starter is VERY hard to get to! Must remove exhaust manifold and a ton of other items.)
3. The electronic/mechanical key does see the ignition slot and when removed but held near the key slot does make the clicking noise as it does normally.
4. Naturally the car has gas. All fuses were checked. We have not tested the relays yet nor the fusable links.
5. The headlights, radio and all accessories seem to work just fine. It just will NOT engage the solenoid/starter. That was 4 days ago. No change even with warmer weather.
6. No error codes are displaying on the OBD test set.
7. At the suggestion of the closest dealer (*****away ) I removed the positive and negative leads from the battery and shorted them together for one hour to completely reset the computers. No difference after that test.
I can either begin with troubleshooting steps from you OR, if you prefer, you can guide me to the specific Alldatadiy location that gives step by step on how to fix a no start problem.
I am an Electronic Technician and a fair mechanic, HOWEVER without the Land Rover testbook & their computer I am at a loss.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

It is possible that the electronic ignition switch itself is the cause here.I have seen this switch fail before needing replaced in some cases.With your OBD scan tool see if you can observe the data list and see if the scan tool shows a start/crank signal from the key when held in the crank position.If you do not see this signal change at all when trying to start the vehicle the electronic ignition switch may be at fault needing replaced.If this was already checked or is checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for giving this a try. I guess it depends on how lucky you and I are together. I guess you are not an Alldatadiy member?? That would give you ALL the info you need. I am on the phone with Justanswer right now asking them to give you the username and password ***** my paid subscription so you can see ALL the info on my vehicle only. The site is www.alldatadiy.com

Justanswer is sending you an email to give you the logon information. I am an Electronic Technician but I do not specialize in vehicles. Reading the schematics is somewhat difficult because the notations are England specific not American. Anyway, I am sure you are far more familiar with any type of schematic. I will be able to follow whatever you ask me to locate.

The vehicle is 20 miles from me. I am having it towed to my shop in the next few hours. In your responses please give as much explanation as possible so I can follow exactly what you request without going back and forth more than needed. If we can find the source of the problem, diagnosis wise, I will give you whatever the MAXIMUM tip allowed is. Len in Colorado, brrrrrrrrr

I use Alldata as well and have my own subscription.Unfortunately I do not see a diagnostic procedure myself on this here.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I must leave quickly but wanted to ask you this. Can Leave you 5 stars now AND still continue this same question?? I hate to leave your efforts unrewarded. Just tell me what I can do that will help you and still stay within the rules. I'll get back to you later today. Len

I apologize for the delay.

Did you receive my last reply and did you need anymore help with this here at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have been sick for the last 2 days and unable to continue troubleshooting. I did just obtain an RSW OBDII READER and software for my laptop to further my quest to solve this problem. After I get to hook it up I will respond to you again.

Sounds good.

Thanks Pete