peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have an 02 mini cvt that snapped a belt... I have an 02

Customer Question

I have an 02 mini cvt that snapped a belt...
I have an 02 mini cvt that snapped a belt and ruined the case. I installed a used trans, which I disassembled and I replaced the belt in it. Trans will not come out of low range. 30mph at 6,000rpm. I have swapped speed sensor on the case and ratio control valve on the valve body. Has good power, just stuck in low ratio.Any ideas? It is not Calibration, because it needs high range to perform the calibration. I have troubleshot it to the point where I know it is stuck in low ratio(range). Which could be in limp mode because the trans is seeing something it doesn't like. Or it is telling it to change into higher range, but is unable to. After tearing this apart and finding the current issue, I have done the following. Removed pump to verify pitot tubes and pump are correctly positioned and no problems found. Swapped speed sensors. Swapped ratio control valves. The same problem exists. Not better, not worse with the changes. There was a code 1786 that I cleared out and has not come back yet.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect and see if there is any damaged or corroded wiring leading to or at the transmission itself.If a wiring fault is found the wiring will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.If this is checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
connections are good. The problem was not there before the trans replacement. The P1786 code will become active I I hold the throttle at 6,000 rpm at 30mph for 15-30 seconds. I'm assuming when the ECM realizes that there's a mechanical problem that is keeping it from changing ranges. I'm looking for a way to pressure check the trans with air pressure, to see if I can get it to function.

Unfortunately I dont show or see a procedure myself on how to test or check this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete