peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I got the 735i finally cranked. I jumped the fuel pump relay

Customer Question

I got the 735i finally cranked. I jumped the fuel pump relay and the other relay beside it (both yellow 4 pin). When I first got the car it would go in reverse but not drive. I rebuilt tyranny with help from my instructor (neither having much experience
with bmw trannies). I didn't flush system after install. It ran in drive a long time but when oil heated, I would lose reverse. It finally burned forward clutches in "A" pack. Got a different tyranny that had electronic control (I didn't check it before and
too late to send back). Swapped "A" clutch pack. Now that it starts, I have drive but no reverse again. Why not?
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect and make sure that the wiring and wiring connection to the transmission is all o.k. with no damage needing repaired.If this is or was checked and is o.k. if the transmission is the incorrect transmission this may be causing this fault here and the transmission may need replaced with the correct one.If the correct components or transmission is installed and this issue is still occuring this can be a fault with the computer/control unit causing this issue with it needing replaced.This will have to be tested further to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The transmission isn't electronically controlled. The correct transmission is installed. The only thing wrong right now is the center bearing supporting the drive line. When in reverse it engages slightly but not fully. It is a 4hp 22 transmission.

O.k.,unfortunately my info isnt covering this transmission fully.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete