Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My 2005 Range Rover (BMW engine) drives and shift fine first

Customer Question

My 2005 Range Rover (BMW engine) drives and shift fine for the first 15 to 20min. Then the " Transferbox Fail safe" message comes on and off few times and then car jerks for a split second and goes into single gear "fail safe" mode for the rest of the ride.
If I stop and turn the car off and start again in few seconds later then it may shift normal again for less than a minute before it goes back to "Fail safe " mode again.
This Truck has had other electrical issues which now they say it is the ECM.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

if you haven't already then replce the fluid and clean out the filter as dirt fluid can create a myriad of issues

however 1 problem that fits your description is a faulty rotary potentiometer in the transfer box shift motor

then relays the position of the transfer box shifter back to the ECU

you can check the resistance of the pot by measuring between pins 1 & 4 and 1 & 2

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

with the transmisson in hi range the measurement between pins 1 & 4 shoudl be about 4.7Kohm and 1.6 K ohm with it in lo range

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.