Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

We have a 2012 BMW 335is convertible hard top, under

Customer Question

Customer: We have a 2012 BMW 335is convertible hard top, under manufacturer warranty for 500 more ***** *****, top won't go up, and BMW says trunk leaked, hyrdo (hydraulic?) pump and wiring were sitting in water and not covered. Wondered if that pump and wiring were sitting down in a low spot that collects water? My wife has had trouble with her service advisor trying to gouger her before....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Top went down fine, but top switch light flashes when trying to put it back up. Windows Windows were part way down, I fiddled with switch and brake for awhile and windows went down....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I'll bounce it off my wife in meantime.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
you have asked: "Wondered if that pump and wiring were sitting down in a low spot that collects water?"
the answer is yes - it is located under the floor in the trunk, which is a low spot in which water tends to collect in the event of a trunk leak.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions, as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi. if there are no additional questions, as the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Steve, I've seen a bunch of blogs on convertible top issues, and most are claiming that relays tend to be the failure points, rather than the actual hydraulic pump. I would have hoped, in your answer, you might have suggested checking other items, before committing to replace and expensive pump?
Expert:  Steve replied 12 months ago.
Please review your post.
the only question that was asked was "Wondered if that pump and wiring were sitting down in a low spot that collects water? "
I am sorry but I can only answer questions that are asked. I cannot infer what other question you might want answered, and have learned in the past that doing so can be problematic.
it is unrealistic and unfair to expect me to answer a question that is not asked.
If you wanted info about possible causes or something else, you are free to ask. since you did not, there is no way for me to know that you may or may not want other information.
As the question has been answered, please now CLICK ON a rating of OK/3stars or higher to ensure I am fairly credited out of the deposit which you have already paid to answer your question. If you do not select a positive rating I receive nothing for fully answering the question that was asked, and your funds sit in limbo/
thank you in advance.
Expert:  Steve replied 12 months ago.
Please review your post.
I am sorry but I can only answer quesitons that are asked. I cannot infer what other question you might want answered, and have learned in the past that doing so can be problematic.
thank you in advance.
/
Expert:  Steve replied 12 months ago.
Please review your post.
/
thank you in advance.
Expert:  Steve replied 12 months ago.
Please review your post.
thank you in advance.
..
Expert:  Steve replied 12 months ago.
if there are no additional questions, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating