Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Engine races when started or sitting @ idle.

Customer Question

Category: BMW
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Steve replied 12 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question did you have about this?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My car engine started racing and red check engine light comes on after a simple master brake cylinder change by mechanic shop. What could be the problem ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My car was running fine prior to this mechanic shop changing the brake master cylinder. Only problem I had was my car not braking as it should prior to this engine racing problem.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's a 1988 735i 3.4 L. Engine. Old but usually runs great prior to this master cylinder ( brake) change. Afraid to take my car back to this mechanic shop in fear they might not be doing me right.
Expert:  Steve replied 12 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I would suspect that the shop broke or disturbed a vacuum line which has caused an air leak.
I would take it back to the same shop since they should fix it for free. the other alternative would be to take it elsewhere, but you would then need to pay.
if you do want another shop, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle