Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2002 745Li can't get out of its own way. Starts and idles

Customer Question

2002 745Li can't get out of its own way. Starts and idles fine, will go and even up to 80mph on flat terrain but if you push the pedal more than just a little bit it falls flat, like it has a bad TPS, but it does not have one with the drive by wire. Like I said, you can only use say the first 10% of throttle, anymore and it bogs right down. Just started while on a trip when I took off from a light.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights at all and system check comes back all systems OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an FYI, I am in the middle of no where on a trip.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
if the engine is bogging down this would suggest a fuel delivery problem (low fuel pressure for some reason) or other serious mixture issue. it could possibly be a bad throttle as well.
I would suggest having the fuel pressure tested and also having a real time diagnostic carried out with a bmw scan tool which can monitor all inputs and outputs from the engine management system in real time and identify what is out of spec. This is the most efficient way to diagnose such an issue on this car - guessing without fault codes/waring lights will get very expensive, very quickly
if you need a non dealer for this check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for optoins
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.