Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2003 BMW X5 3L. My car key wont lock the vehicle

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 BMW X5 3L. My car key wont lock the vehicle door manually or with button depressed. In addition the center lcd display is screwy.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello
can you please clarify what "screwy" means and also what exactly your question is regarding these issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With regard to the Key manually locking the door. When the key is inserted into the door locked and turned clockwise or counter clockwise, there is no actuation of the lock.
The LCD display is intermittent, some of the "pixels" dont light up along the entire display.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the key is inserted into the door locked **sorry "door lock"
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
okay...
what exactly would you like to know about these items?
possible causes? something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would cause a key to fail to manually lock the vehicle?As for the LED disply, Is there a way to rest the display or "reboot" it and possibly fix that issue?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
does the door lock when you press the lock button on the dash/console?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
here are your answers:
Q: What would cause a key to fail to manually lock the vehicle?
A: This is a simple mechanical failure of the door lock mechanism inside the door. The lock mechanism needs to be replaced.
Q: As for the LED disply, Is there a way to rest the display or "reboot" it and possibly fix that issue?
A: No, there is no way to reboot the system to correct this. This is a very, very, very common problem, the pixels are simply burnt out and can only be brought back by replacing the lcd panel or the entire display unit. Very common and known problem.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions, as the questions have been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.