rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 0029D0 fault code; Misfire detection cylinder 4 in

Customer Question

I have a 0029D0 fault code; Misfire detection cylinder 4 in third firing order, can you help me with this?
Category: BMW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This misfire can also be caused by a bad fuel injector or low compression in that cylinder. Depending on when the misfire is occurring, it can also be a lean condition.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your last sentence stated "this misfire can also ...." What was the first reason you felt the misfire is occurring? In addition, this code is exactly as it states? It's actually a misfire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does "in third firing order" mean?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

There's only one firing order. Cylinder #4 is our culprit.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand, cylinder #4 four is where the problem lies. However,1) I was asking what the first reason was that you were indicating before you stated "This misfire can also be caused by a bad fuel injector or low compression in that cylinder. Depending on when the misfire is occurring, it can also be a lean condition" .. the word "also" means, there is an initial reason, what was that?2) In addition, what is the recommended course of action to resolve the issue? what steps should I take?3) How do I resolve the injector?4) I can do a compression check to ensure the cylinder pressure is good.5) How would I find "when the misfire is occurring"?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Let's first find out what the problem is, then we can address the repair. It a lot less writing:) The information for most of your questions is in the scan tool itself as far as code data. Freeze frame is one of them. Please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you have more questions later on too.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the Carly for BMW OBD connector. See the attached code data.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Great, now it's time to do some diagnostics for all of my suggestions as to why you have this misfire. The engine is still operating the same regardless of any new definitions:) The basics are still required:)

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but you're not being clear and you so far have given me nothing to go on. I want you to suggest what course of action to take. What diagnostics for your suggestions are you talking about? Are you saying I need to get it to a BMW shop and have them check the engine? Are you saying I need to check compression on the #4 cylinder? You are not being clear.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I don't know your skill level, but you need to check compression, fuel injector and power to it. If the code was set on a cold engine, it may be a vacuum leak causing the code. These are normal effective tests to isolate a misfire.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just a home mechanic but have access to the auto hobby shop on Scott Air Force base here in Illinois.
What is the correct compression for the cylinder?
The check was on a warm/hot engine, would a vacuum leak still be possible?
I assume I would simply check to see if there was power to the injector connection? However, this is intermittent, if I have power and it's intermittent, how can I check to see if the injector is bad?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

You need. No I'd light for injector power test and aa scope to test the circuit. All the tests I recommended are important.