rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I'm having a problem with my Mini S. Drove fine last night,

Customer Question

I'm having a problem with my Mini Cooper S. Drove fine last night, now this morning it wont start. Electronic key opens the door fine, dash lights come and and I get the usual "ding" noise, but I turn the key and nothing. No starter click. Battery is fine. HELP!
Category: BMW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It's possible that you have a security issue if that light is on or flashing. If that's ok, then there may be a problem with the starter motor or battery cables.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, no lights flashing at all. Battery is fully charged. No starter clicks. I just drove it last night. This morning, nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a fairly adept mechanic, so I can handle just about anything you need me to do.Maverick
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Check your voltages to the starter.

Check the cables for any corrosion.

Turn engine over by hand at the crank to ensure it's free moving.

The battery should be load tested to be sure there is enough cranking voltage, not just enough to turn lights on.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltages are good. No corrosion. Battery is fine. Engine moves freely. Could this be related to either the clutch switch or possibly the key electronics? Is there any way to test this theory?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it can be related to a clutch switch. I don't think it's key or security problem now. Try crossing the starter solenoid with a screwdriver to see if you can get it to crank that was. Make sure there is power to the solenoid from the ignition switch.