Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Name is ***** *****. I have a 97 BMW 528i with 278k on it.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, name is ***** *****. I have a 97 BMW 528i with 278k on it. It's been taken care of but in need of some work. Last night I started it up and sluggish for a few revs and then cleared out but once I got home noticed it was smoking from exhaust and water leaking out and never happened before. It doesn't leak any oil and no running hot issues, etc I do need to change flywheel and belts. plugs, vavle cover gasket, etc. I just tried to start and it won't turn over at all. Like it's locked up. Never replaced starter but.....?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car has been rattling a bit lately but gets better after it warms up but I think this could be the vanos and I have a kit to replace rings, etc. It is temperamental in the sense that it has to run for 10 mins at least or it will cause check engine light to come on but you can stop turn off car and back on and resets and runs fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question exactly would you like answered about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve, I'm back and waiting for response...thx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could text me please to the(###) ###-#### I will respond and then come to computer or I can talk too which would be great. If you can just give me a heads up by text first.thx Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hi sorry for the delay
have you checked for the starter signal at the starter or jumped the starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't. So there is a signal on the starter itself? How do I jump the starter, think I know how but just to be sure
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
there is a small wire that attaches to the starter
you need to check for a 12v signal here when trying to crank
you can jump the starter by crossing the solenoid poles
based on your description I would guess that the engine may have seized.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.