Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

26 November 2015 12:20 Engine is the M62tub44 in the 540i

Customer Question

26 November 2015 12:20 Engine is the M62tub44 in the 540i which has 174000 miles. Would a 10w weight (10W-40 synthetic) hurt. or stay with the 5W-30 recommended buy the BMW service. What problems to look out for? What do you think of the 1.4 bar radiator
recovery tank cap to prevent engine damage since the temp gauge is notorisuly not accurate. Would see steam before engine damage could occur?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
10 40 isn't going to hurt, but I would use 5 30
I would watch out for timing chain issues, the crankcase vent system and the cooling system (water pump and thermo).
I wouldn't worry about the rad cap.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.