sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

After a week in a garage, my BMW 520dx does not start. That

Customer Question

After a week in a garage, my BMW 520dx does not start. That is not a problem of battery or pilot as a car is relatively new - less than 2 years, some 35 000 km.
Just 3 days before leaving home for a week I noted a communicate that Ad Blue refill is needed. The computer says I should pour 14,5 l of Ad Blue and the range is 1600 km. The orange engine indicator appeared on a board. When using the other pilot the communicate is the same. The battery is 13,4 V.
OK, I refilled Ad Blue (10 l) and nothing changed - the range is still 1600 km and the amount to pour remained 14,5 l. Should I fill the Ad Blue tank full in order to reset the values? I believe not, but I am not a specialist. It is a weekend now so I have no possibility to contact the local service to solve the problem.
May you help, please?
Regards,
Pawel
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Unless it's telling you that the engine is disabled due to a low exhaust fluid condition then low DEF isn't the cause of the no start condition.

Does the starter engage and crank the engine?

Do you know what fault codes have set?