sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Top switch blinks Nothing happens. Windows 't go down. top

Customer Question

top switch blinks Nothing happens. Windows don't go down. top does not unlock. When I try to re-sync top cover only goes partially up then stops
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the windows don't lower and the top does not attempt to move then the issue may be the module itself but it may be inhibiting top operation intentionally because of an input. It monitors microswitches to ensure all components are in the correct state during operation. If it doesn't see correct input from a switch, either due to a wiring, mechanical or switch isue, then it will prevent operation.

Do you have a scan tool capable of communication with the power top control module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have OBDII but not a DIS

An actual scan tool will almost certainly be necessary to diagnose the problem.

Are there any apparent mechanical issues with any of the top components?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can put the top up and down by powering the motors directly. So it seems to be the control module to me. All wires are intact and switches appear to be working, though that is a visual assessment. I can get a used top module cheaper than a DIS reader so I guess that is the way to go.

It's possible that you have a wiring or switch issue but if you can pick up a module cheaper than an hour of diagnostic time then replacing it would be one way to go.